Perception

WELCOME TO FRIDAY FICTIONEERS!
 They have encouraged writers to be as innovative as possible with their prompt and 100 word constraint. 

Henry David Thoreau said it best.
“It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.”





Perception

Helena hugged her brother. They stared at the lovely blue wind-chime, while his wife rocked and held the boy.
“How long has she been sitting there with him?
“Hours,” he replied passively.
"What do you plan to do?"
“I don't know.” A tear rolled down his face.  “He’s in his own world.”
“Isn’t there anything the Doctors can do, so he’ll be normal?
  “It’s Autism," he said. “ What can they do.”
They fell into a silent awe, as the dolphin moved with the rolling waves inside the ornament    
“It’s how he sees his world,” his wife said, sadly. 



Thank you.....Friday Fictioneers

Copyright © 2013 Glynis Rankin

19 comments:

  1. A sad take on the prompt Glynis, but a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes very sad... and struck a chord. i have a cousin who's special. -kz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey KZ, I have a brother that was affected during the wars....my perception has changed to met his special needs. Thank you for reading.

      Delete
  3. A totally new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you yarnspinnerr!
      I believe these children could be an evolution change. Whose to say!

      Delete
  4. Sad, but very well written. Excellent choice for a character name, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Glynis,

    Perceptive parents. It seems they are drawn into his world rather than the other way around. Nice one.

    Shalom,

    Rochelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very bittersweet story, but at least the dolphin chime can hold his attention. It is so impossible to see through anyone else's eyes and the autistic spectrum has colours we can not possible fathom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the story, but I'm confused as to who's speaking throughout. It seems the father does all the talking until the end when his wife finally speaks, but that doesn't make sense. Am I off base here? Break it to me gently ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Perry!
      First thank you so much for visiting my blog. :)
      Second, I'm so sorry its confusing. Helena and her brother are having the conversation until the wife add her lines.
      I hope that explains it for you. :)
      Thank you again!

      Delete
    2. Now I get it! For some reason, I thought 'Helena hugged her brother' meant Helena was the little boy's sister, who would be too young to talk in that manner. All better now. Thanks!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I was a bit confused too as to who was who at first; figured it out. I think 'What can they do ...' requires a question mark. You get the sadness across in the dialogue well, about a 'modern' syndrome - or spectrum, as they call it. Second story about autism I've read this week. Happy holidays. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much Annisik51 for you help! I will make the correction! :)

      Delete

Don't be shy, you know what I want!