Flashback Thursday/Happiness





This  week Flashback Thursday came about while I was listening to a friend's wonderful news concerning her books, yes the word agent was thrown around freely. I was so happy for her that it made me wonder about my own success and where my life as a writer was heading.  I started to feel despondent, where was my happy announcements and then I remember this post.   So without further ado I represent Happiness.
 This quote was attributed to Guillaume Apollinaire:


A friend of mine asked this question in a form.  She wanted to know if I agreed with the writer/poet and if so why or why not?  My answer was yes, I agreed with the poet. We can be so engrossed in the pursuit of what we perceive will make us the happiest that we can end up neglecting the everyday happiness that sustain us.

This statement had me thinking about my own pursuit of happiness, getting my stories published traditionally and how that singled minded interest caused me to neglect the things, I’ve always enjoyed in my life.
The simple things like seeing the sunrise or set, the warmth of the sun on my skin,  or a long afternoon  swim. The pleasure of walking in the park among the whispering trees,  watching the colorful leaves falling around me after a fall breeze, or the comfort of hearing birds singing in the silence of the day. There are so many others that I can't name them all here.
The things that make us happy everyday are the ones that support and sustain us. The happiness and joy of being among family and friends keep us from falling or sinking too deeply in our goals or becoming forever lost while seeking success.

Is this pursuit of getting my book published worth neglecting the many happy days that come before my happiness arrives?
I say no, we must be balanced in this pursuit, or that day of happiness will fall way short in our lives.


Copyright © 2013 Glynis Rankin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, you know what I want!