For the Love of Romance



This month's guest author is  Angela Kay Austin. She is a published author I met at an Author's Fair this summer and after reading her book, Give Me Everything.  I too fell in love, with LOVE. This noted author took the time to talk with me about her love of Romance and writing. 

Angela Kay Austin Dream
Since she was a teenager, reading her mother's Reader's Digest, and teenage magazines, Angela Kay Austin dreamt of telling stories. After she spent twenty years practicing marketing, writing copy, designing layouts, and developing advertising campaigns. Angela realized that each piece of the plan she put together eventually told a story. Her first book, "Love Chance," stayed on Red Rose Publishing's bestseller list for 10 weeks and her book, "My Son," hit the bestseller list at All Romance eBooks. She has also written stories for Ezine Rithm 'n Blues.

Angela's love for romance lead her to become a member of the stellar Romance Writers of American, From the Heart Romance Writers,Chick Lit Writers of the World, and Washington DC Romance Writers. I am extremely fortunate to have this talented writer here on Imagining. 


Good morning Angela, I want to thank you for agreeing to this interview.
Glynis, thank you for inviting me to your blog!

Angela, I love a good Romance, and I know you do too.
I sure do.

Tell me when did you fall in Love with Romance?
My love affair with Romance began as a young adult with YA books. I don't know if you ever heard of  Sweet Valley High. But I think I read those books a million times as a teenager.

What inspired you to write your first Romance novel Love's Chance?
Love's Chance was the first manuscript I sold, but not the first manuscript I completed. That was actually Give Me Everything. The first draft of GME was completely different from the published piece. The original inspiration for the piece simply came from my desires to a story that reflected me, my friends and what we faced in our everyday lives.I wanted to write something that felt familiar. I hope that when people read the story, they say to themselves, " I know somebody just like that." Or they could say, " I know someone that went through that."

Angela do you have a specific writing style?
No, nothing specific. Other than I tend to write late at night without an outline. I try not to shape anything, but let it flow as much as possible. The more I try to push something the more I dislike the end results.

Which came first, the character's story or the idea for the novel?
It's different every time for me. Music, TV, a news story or simply walking down the street could inspire me. Or, I could dream a whole sequence and write from that. I try to be as open to everything around me as possible in order to make room for the story ideas grow.

Good advice, can you tell me a little about your main characters in your book Give Me Everything, I fell in Love with Kendis Washington and LaKia Jackson? 
Kendis and LaKia are my hero/heroin from Give Me Everything. They are two people very similar and because of that, they both run from what is inevitable. I think because they've both experienced such personal loss that they choose to cocoon themselves away from the possibility of more loss. But, in so doing, they also cut themselves off from love.

How much of this book is realistic and are those steamy love scenes in the book, based on someone you know, or events in your own life?
I think the entire book is extremely realistic. That's all I've got to say on that one. ;)

Enough said, what was the hardest part to write in the book(s)
LaKia's painful flashbacks. I read articles and blogs about women who'd experienced similar loss. Those women's pain covered me, and it was hard to release.

We all hate to edit but it is unavoidable, can you tell us what you left on the cutting room floor?
I've left tons of stuff on the floor. I have files of clippings that I just store away. Maybe one day I'll use them. But, if I don't cut it my editors will!

Is there a message in your novels that you want readers to grasp? 
I try to cover issues that I fell are important to women in all of my books, and I want people to come away a little bit more knowledgeable of those issues and how they affect women in this country.

Who designed your lovely covers?
My publishers handle all of the design for my books. They work magic!

Can you share a little of your current work with us?
I'm working on a few different pieces at the moment. One specifically for the holidays and the other kind of fits in with another piece that I've written called Scarlet's Tears. Not a sequel, but it deals with military life.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?
If your readers love books that make you feel something: anger, happiness, sadness, or a little sexy, then hopefully, they'll like something that I've penned.

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?
To my readers or any reader, I'd simply say I hope that they continue to support authors. So often, I have people tell me that they don't like to read. I love reading so much that normally I'm reading two or three books at a time. I'm sad when I finish a book, and often, I will re-read a book.

I hope that your readers, my readers, and all readers will pick up a book or two this holiday season!

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Write. No matter what else you have going on, or what anyone says. If you don't write and read (good writing,) you can't be a great writer.


Thank you so much Angela for taking the time to talk with me about your book. Give Me Everything.
Thank you Glynis

 Angela Kay Austin books Sweet Victory/ Scarlet Tears now available at Vanilla Heart Publishing

    Love's Change/ Christmas' Journey/ My Son now available at Red Rose Publishing.
  







If you would like to know more about Angela Kay Austin you can contact her via